Route B : Registered Products
Product registration through issuance of a Product Certificate (Registered), or PC(R), is offered to clients who have regular shipments of same or similar products. Some of the advantages of obtaining the PC(R) are:
- Decrease of the sample testing’s frequency
- Random shipment inspections
- Cost effectiveness
There are two steps that must be completed in order to comply with the Federal Government of Nigeria import requirements:
1. Product Certificate (Registered); PC(R)
The PC(R) is valid for one year. It is accepted for issuance of multiple SCs during its validity period. One PC (R) is issued per Product Group. The Product Groups are available in the Product List section. If you have goods pertaining to more than one Product Group, you must get a PC (R) for each Group.The PC (R) is a mandatory document for obtaining a SONCAP Certificate (SC) and it is also needed to pre-declare the import in Nigeria (opening of the Form M).
There are 2 ways to obtain a PC(R):
- Upgrade from Route A
If the manufacturer/exporter has successfully accomplished 4 compliant transactions under Route A, he will/could be elevated to Route B. This means that the product is elevated to the status of 'registered'.
- Direct registration
The product manufacturer has a Quality Management System (QMS) in place, such as ISO 9001, ISO 16949, ISO 13485, and accepts an immediate audit of its factory.
The exporter must also provide test reports for every product, either from an ISO 17025 laboratory or from the manufacturer laboratory provided that the testing has been witnessed by Cotecna.
The PC(R) is granted upon:
- Satisfactory factory audit
- Reception of acceptable product evaluation documents, such as test reports, factory assessment report and QMS certificates.
Cotecna will issue a PC(R).
2. SONCAP Certificate Issuance
The SONCAP Certificate (SC) is valid only for one particular shipment. It is a mandatory document for Customs clearance. The manufacturer / exporter must:
- Complete and send Cotecna the Request for Certification (RFC) form
- Ensure that all the regulated goods of the shipment are covered by one or more valid Product Certificates.
- Submission of final documents to Cotecna
Under Route B, in at least 40% of the cases/shipments, Cotecna will selectively organize the following:
- Physical inspection of the shipment
- Sample testing: samples are drawn by Cotecna during the inspection of the shipment or under Cotecna supervision at the manufacturer's premises and will be tested as per applicable standards.
- Acceptance of Test Reports as long as they are issued by:
- An accredited ISO 17025 laboratory
- The manufacturer's laboratory if testing was witnessed by Cotecna
- Loading supervision of Full Container Loads (FCL)
- Seal of FCL container(s)
Cotecna will deliver a SONCAP Certificate (SC) upon compliance with above requirements.
In the event of non-compliance with the testing and/or inspection requirements, Cotecna shall issue a Non Conformity Report (NCR).