17 May 2016
The 10 benefits of Verification of Conformity Programs
Verification of Conformity (VoC) Programs are systems imposed by governments to ensure that imported products meet the required quality and safety standards of the importing country. These precautions are taken to verify and confirm that the goods do not represent a risk for the health and safety of the population, or the environment.
The VoC Program in Nigeria has been in place for years and offers many benefits to both the Government and its citizens, i.e. consumers and importers. The top 10 of which are:
- The organization and regulation of the import system, ensuring that all importers conform to standards.
- Protection of Nigerian consumers from unsafe and substandard products by increasing the quality of products on the market.
- Better value-for-money for consumers in terms of quality of services and products.
- Better tracking and monitoring of goods imported into Nigeria.
- The creation of an Exporter, Importer and Manufacturer updated database.
- Supporting the importer to prevent seizure of their goods by ensuring conformance to the correct standards.
- Assisting in curbing trade deals with fraudulent importers.
- Reduction of tax evasion, since companies wishing to import have to be up-to-date with their Tax clearance in order to have a valid TIN (Tax identification Number), vital for the opening of a Form M.
- Enhanced revenue generation for the Government.
- Encouraging exporters and manufacturers to improve the quality of their products, so as to be ISO certified for conformity.
These are a few ways in which our VOC programs are helping to develop Nigerian trade. Cotecna is here to help importers, exporters and governments ensure that all imports and exports are completed as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
Please contact us if you have any questions regarding our VOC services or how we could help you import your goods more effectively.
Back to News