Discover answers to 5 key questions about the E-Form M, the online mandatory documentation process required for importing into Nigeria.
1. What is an E-Form M ?
An E-Form M is an online mandatory documentation process introduced by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS). It was put in place by the Federal Government of Nigeria through the Federal Ministry of Finance (FMF) to monitor goods that are imported into Nigeria, as well as enable the collection of import duties where applicable. In a nut shell, the guidelines say that all importers into Nigeria shall firstly process the E-Form M through an Authorized Dealer Bank, irrespective of the value of their goods and whether or not payment is involved.
2. Who requests the E-Form M ?
Importers request the E-Form M.
3. Where can the E-Form M be obtained ?
The E-Form M can be obtained on the Federal Government of Nigeria Single Window for Trade portal. However, the E-Form M can only be accessed when the importer has fulfilled the following requirements:
- Registration of a Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) at the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) offices
- TIN validation by the importer at the FIRS offices
- Logging into the FIRS portal to register as importer
- The Bank/customer has logged into https://app.trade.gov.ng/formx to initiate the E-Form M
- Forwarding all original documents (Pro forma Invoice, Insurance etc.) to the Bank for approval.
4. At what point is the E-Form M required in the SON Certification process?
The E-Form M is required after the Product Certificate (PC) has been issued. This applies to products that are regulated by SON.
5. Does the importer need to personally get involved in the E-Form M procedure?
Yes. The importer has to personally complete the E-Form M on the Single Window for Trade portal.
Cotecna can help you with this process. To learn more or obtain assistance, please contact us.