Acquiring an E-Form M is a mandatory step in the Nigerian importation process according to the SON Conformity Assessment Programme. Please see the procedure below in order to learn how to obtain an E-Form M for your shipment.
1. Submit your E-Form M application online to an Authorized Dealer Bank along with the following attached documents:
- Proforma invoice
- Locally sourced Insurance Certificate
- Regulatory Certificates/Permits. Depending on your product this may be a Product Certificate* (for all products regulated by Standards Organization of Nigeria - SON) or a National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) Certificate (for food and drugs).
2. The completed Form M is submitted to the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) for approval.
3. Upon receipt of the Form M with the necessary attached pre-import documents as detailed above the NCS will review the application and either accept or reject it within one working day.
- If “accepted” the NCS will register the e-Form M in the Single Window Trade system.
- If “rejected” the NCS will state the reasons for rejection and the documents will be automatically returned for rectification.
4. When the E-Form M has been accepted by the NCS, the importer will inform his exporter to begin shipment preparation for products regulated by SON. This includes inspection, testing and certification in order to get a SONCAP Certificate (SC) required for the Customs clearance of goods at any Nigerian Port. Cotecna can assist you throughout the certification process in order to get your SC. For more information please contact us.
5. After the SONCAP Certificate is issued (where applicable), the goods can be shipped to Nigeria to be cleared with the Pre-Arrival Assessment Report (PAAR) after activation of the SONCAP Certificate on the Trade Portal.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact us.
*Cotecna can help you to get a product certificate for your imports. Contact us if you would like to learn more.