Importing firecrackers and other explosive products into Nigeria

  • 1/5/2022

Firecrackers are a popular celebratory import product. As we welcome the New Year, here is everything you need to know about exporting fireworks and other explosive products to Nigeria.

During the recent holiday season, there was a high demand for firecrackers, fireworks and other explosive products. Importing explosives into Nigeria is a totally different process from the usual importation process where the importer obtains a Product Certificate and opens an e-Form M at any Nigerian Bank.

As you may know, explosive products are exempted from the SONCAP Program. However, there are still documents required for the importation of explosives. For instance, permits to import explosives and fireworks must be obtained from the relevant government agency. One such permit is the End User Certificate (EUCs) required for military requests for explosives.

To Apply for an End-User Certificate (EUC) follow these 5 easy steps:

  1. Read guidelines for required EUC application supporting documents.
  2. Create a EUC account by filling out the sign-up form. You will be immediately notified via e-mail and SMS once your account is approved or disapproved.
  3. Apply for EUC by logging onto the portal and providing the required information.
  4. Wait for your application approval or disapproval notification via e-mail and SMS.
  5. Collect your EUC at the Office of the National Security Adviser.

Note: EUC applications are free of charge at every stage.

The Ministry of Mines and Solid Minerals is responsible for issuing licenses for explosives meant for use by construction companies. As an added security check, EUC application by individual companies will be forwarded to the Ministry of Mines and Solid Minerals who will authenticate such requests. The firework importation permit will then be issued by the Inspector General of Police.

If an EUC application covers more than one item, collate and attach the specified application supporting documents for each item on one document. For instance, if a Chemical EUC application covers Toluene, Sulphuric Acid and Urea from different vendors, the Proforma Invoice for the (3) chemicals should be scanned and uploaded as one document.

Here is a list of the required supporting documents:

  • Certificate of Incorporation
  • Articles and Memorandum of Association
  • Form CO7
  • Tax Clearance
  • FIRS Certificate
  • Proforma Invoice
  • Form M from Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
  • Bill of Lading (BL) or Airway Bill (AWB)
  • Packing List (not mandatory)
  • Certificate of Analysis (not mandatory)
  • Permit to Import Explosives from the Ministry of Mines & Steel Development
  • License to sell explosives from the Ministry of Mines & Steel Development
  • EUCs for the last year
  • Magazine licenses for ammunition
  • Transporter vehicle details
  • Previous import distribution network– beneficiaries & stock balances
  • Approved Responsible Officer (ARO) – identification & licenses

For help exporting explosive products or to learn more about exporting to Nigeria, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Back to News