Items imported into Nigeria for commercial purposes require SON Product Registration. This process can be seamlessly carried out online as explained below.
What is Product Registration: Product Registration is a procedure that allows SON to make an inventory of all products imported into the country for sale. This is based on a Federal Government’s directive and has already been in place for a long time. It used to be done manually but, since the 20th of February, 2013, it has been converted to an e-Product Registration.
Why is Product Registration required: The importance of Product Registration is to guarantee transparency and traceability during the import process.
How to register products online:
- Visit www.son.gov.ng
- On the home page, click “e-Product Registration”, then “Continue”
- For a new company registration, click “New Account”, enter the RC/Business number (i.e. RC1234) and a valid email address
- Click "Sign Up". A six (6) digit password will be sent to your email
- Go back to the Sign In page and enter the RC Number, email address and six (6) digits password
- The next page requires you to fill in the company details. After doing it, click “Continue”.
- A payment advice will be issued. You may print it and take it to ANY bank where an RRR code will be generated to make the payment
- After making the payment, go back to www.son.gov.ng and click on the e-Product Registration Payment Details, then follow the input and fill in the required fields
- Product traceability in the Nigerian market
- Detection of counterfeit products
- Barriers to the circulation of substandard goods
- The official SON Product Registration Logo and number are displayed on registered products
Penalties for not registering your products include:
- Seizure of goods by the Inspectorate and Compliance Directorate
- Payment of a fine
Note: The above explained process for import items can only be completed in Nigeria by the importer and does not in any way replace the Product and SONCAP certificate procedures.