We have listed below some useful suggestions to help you speed up shipping procedures when importing into Nigeria.
The import process involves three entities: an Authorized Dealer Bank, the Nigeria Customs Services and the Regulatory bodies. Before any importation is carried out, the importer should do the following:
- Carry out a market feasibility study for these goods in Nigeria.
- Register his /her company with the Corporate Affairs Commission and receive an RC number.
- Ensure Taxes are paid regularly and the company is registered with the Federal Inland Revenue Services (FIRS).
- Ensure that a Tax Identification Number (TIN) is allotted to the company, with a valid e-mail address/telephone number tagged to the TIN number.
- Select a Bank in Nigeria which will act as the Authorized Dealer Bank (ADB). This Bank will process the Form M/PAAR as well as mediate among the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS), the importer and other bodies.
- Visit the Bank of choice or discuss with the Foreign Trade Department or the account officer.
- Find out the H.S. Code of the imported item using the Nigeria Customs Service Common External Tariff (C.E.T).
- Understand the Federal Ministry of Finance Import guidelines.
- Inquire about which agency regulates the imported item. For SON regulated products please contact us.
- Inform the exporter about SON and the need for product certification, i.e. the Product Certificate (PC) and the SONCAP Certificate.
- Ensure the Product Certificate (PC) for imported items is obtained and validated online to obtain the Form M.
- Open the e-Form M with the Bank of choice attaching the activated PC.
- Forward the accepted e-Form M to the exporter, in order to contact Cotecna for the SONCAP issuance.
- Validate the SONCAP online certificate for PAAR issuance.
If these steps are taken, the import process into Nigeria should proceed without any unexpected complications and clearance for import will be authorized faster.
It is very important to note that you will not be able to ship your goods without first obtaining the PC and SONCAP certificates.
For any further information, please contact us and we will be able to assist you throughout your import process.